Back at the beginning of the year, I outlined my goals for this year (aka: New Year’s Resolutions). Well the year is more than half over at this point, so I wanted to check back in and see how I’ve done so far (pretty well, if I do say so myself).
Some of these things I’ve completely let slip (definitely haven’t done one thing a month outside my comfort zone), other’s I’ve made some progress on (saving money takes time), but some I’ve actually completed (like running my first half marathon).
So here’s the list of resolutions with my the progress (or lack thereof) that I’ve made so far:
- Run a half marathon. (San Diego Half Marathon 3/10/13)
- Run a 5K. (LA Color Run 2/2/13)
- Run a charity race.
- Join a gym and go twice a week. (The Gym LA, joined: 4/22/13)
- Put $X into savings. (So close to my goal!)
- Find a charity to consistently support (and actually donate this year).
- Join big/little sisters.
- Host three parties at the apartment. (Does my own birthday party count for one?)
- Earn an end-of-year raise/promotion. (Still too early to tell on this one.)
- Make employee of the month once. (March–got to cut to the front of the lunch line at work for two months!)
- Travel twice for fun (Texas, Colorado, New York). (Just went to Chicago for my friend’s wedding.)
- Make five weekend trips (Ojai, Vegas, San Francisco, Napa). (Vegas with two of my friends in June, a friend’s bachelorette party in Vegas in June, San Diego to visit the fam, San Francisco–even though it was a volunteer work thing, I’m going to count it)
- Read six fiction books. (“Gone Girl” by Gillian Flynn, “Bossypants” by Tina Fey, “Wild” by Cheryl Strayed)
- Find a good dentist. (I have an appointment with one today.)
- Donate blood twice. (First time is for a company blood drive on August 15.)
- Develop signature potluck dish and cocktail. (Got the drink part down: ginger margarita. Recipe to follow.)
- Find reliable primary care physician. (I have my first appointment in September.)
- Finish 5- and 10-year plan. (Jotted some ideas down. Five-year plan looks done, but how am I supposed to plan for 10 years from now?)
- Learn to ride a bike proficiently.
- Visit three museums (Getty at least twice, LACMA, MoCA). (Getty with my sister, Field Museum and Science and Industry in Chicago, and Getty Villa or LACMA this weekend with my sister)
- Do one thing a month that’s out of your comfort zone.
- Finish decorating apartment (find art I really like and take a centerpiece photo). (My grandma gave me a really nice mirror when she moved out of her house. That should count for something.)
- Go vegan for a month.
- Go gluten-free for a month.
- Participate in NaNoWriMo. (Too early for this one. NaNoWriMo is in November.)
- Try three different types of “ethnic cuisine” restaurants (Thai, Ethiopian). (Went out to Thai with some coworkers and loved it.)
Did you make resolutions this year? How are you doing on them? The year’s not over–you still have five whole months to do whatever it is you set out to do! So go for it! As for me, I’ll be working on finishing the list as best I can. And figuring out which charity race to run. Any suggestions?