Usually, when I get home from an 11-hour day at work, the last thing I want to do is cook a yummy, healthy dinner. But this stir fry is pretty fast and delicious as long as you prepare the tofu ahead of time.
But don’t let the fact that you’ve never cooked with tofu before stop you. It’s not that hard to prepare and cook, and like mushrooms, it absorbs whatever flavors you’re cooking it in.
Ingredients and Equipment
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 lb. firm tofu, drained and pressed (see below)
- 3/4 cup Trader Joe’s Soyaki Marinade
- Frozen stir-fry vegetables
- Rice or noodles (see below for suggestions)
- Frying pan
- Spatula or slotted spoon
Time and Servings
- Prep Time: 25 minutes (plus a few hours to let tofu drain)
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Total Time: 45 minutes
- Servings: 3 to 6
- To prepare tofu, take it out of the package and drain any extra water out of it. Wrap it in paper towels and gently squeeze to get rid of additional moisture, making sure you don’t squeeze so hard that it breaks apart. Then set it in the fridge on a plate for a few hours (or even overnight).
- Take the tofu out of the fridge and cut it into 1 1/2-inch triangles (or cubes if you prefer). They’ll shrink as they cook, so don’t cut them too small.
- Heat the olive oil in the frying pan over medium-high heat then add the pieces of tofu. The oil may sizzle and splatter a bit, so you’ll want to turn down the heat to medium.
- Let the tofu cook for several minutes, continuing to stir and flip the pieces so that they are cooked evenly on all sides.
- When the tofu is starting to turn golden brown, add the vegetables and stir everything together.
- Soon after adding the vegetables, pour on the Soyaki sauce and continue to cook.
- Keep stirring until the vegetables are crisp and the tofu is fried on the outside but still soft inside.
- Serve over rice or noodles and enjoy!
- It’s really important to use well-drained tofu or it may take extra long to cook or turn out mushy.
- You may need more or less Soyaki than what I listed, so feel free to pour straight from the bottle onto the tofu until everything is evenly coated.
- My favorite thing to serve this stir fry with is simple white rice, but you can also try a vegetable fried rice or noodles.