Every so often I’ll have one of those days when I’ve been sitting at my desk all day, staring at a computer screen, and I just can’t seem to muster up the motivation to go running. Enter: this playlist. Because frankly, who better to get me off my butt and onto the pavement than Kanye?
- “Stronger” by Kanye West: I would love anything that incorporates my life motto, “What doesn’t kill you makes you stronger,” but I really love this song. Whenever I hear it during a workout, I think, “Yeah. I’m making me smarter, better, faster, stronger!” And really, who doesn’t want that?
- “The Fighter” by Gym Class Heroes: Whenever I listen to this song, I think of two things: On the Waterfront with Marlon Brando (“I coulda been a contender.”) and how much I wanna run the heck out of this song. I especially love it when this song comes on right as I’m charging up a hill. “There goes a fighter!”
- “Breaking the Habit” by Linkin Park: This one is a nod to my high school days. For some reason, listening to this song makes me feel like I running through a video game kicking serious butt. And that works for me.
- “Lose Yourself” by Eminem: As a USC alum, I can’t hear this song without being transported back to game day. They would play it before the football team ran onto the field every home game. For me, there’s nothing more inspiring than fighting on through my run like a woman of Troy. Also, I may or may not know all the lyrics to this song (hint: I do!).
- “Alive” by P.O.D.: This one, too, is a throwback to high school. I had to put this one last, because at the end of my run I need to be reminded to pick up the pace a bit and give it my all. It’s also a great reminder that running does make me feel so alive.
What are the songs that make you smarter, better, faster, stronger? I’m always looking for suggestions, as I get bored quite easily with my workout music selection.